In this Insider’s Guide to GA4 series, I will share all the practical tips you need to know when working with the new version of Google Analytics. The first post in the cycle is dedicated to setting the Full URL as a custom dimension. Let’s roll up the sleeves and do it.
Why do you need it?
- If you have cross-domain tracking
- When you have GA4 on subdomains
Do I need to add anything in GTM?
You don’t need to add anything. The page_location parameter is automatically added to all event sent to GA4, but for some reason Google forgot to add it as a standard Custom Dimension and we need to do it manually. No GTM changes needed. No coding neede.
How to setup this up?
- Go into the Events reports on the left
- Click Manage Custom Dimensions
3. Add event parameter name page_location and set a name of the custom dimension.
4. The page location will begin to appear in your reports after about 48h.